Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Coffee Table Overhaul



Today, I thought I'd give y'all a little sneak peak at our living room via the coffee table that I painted for it! 

Micah ended up being able to move out of barracks while he was at Fort Bragg last year, so when I went for a visit during my summer break, I helped him get some furniture. Knowing that anything he bought had the potential to end up in our 1st place together, I wasn't going to let him buy just anything! I found a matching coffee & end table {& a couch} listed on Craigslist all for $100. What a steal, huh?! We have since then gifted the couch away, but the tables made the trip to Florida. They originally caught my eye because of the shape & style. I wanted something with a slatted top & a bit decorative on the legs that would lend itself to shabby chic style. The oak color wasn't ideal, but I knew that was an easy fix. 

Once we got all of our stuff down here & the house set up, this was my first project to tackle. This pieces are both very solid. We aren't entirely sure what they are made of, though. The top had a thick layer of some sort of laminate on it, but it looks like real wood underneath. It's a mystery. 



My plan at 1st was to use Micah's palm sander to take off the top layer of whatever & then stain it with a satin Walnut stain/poly I purchased at Wal Mart. To say that didn't work would be a huge understatement. It took me 45 minutes to get one little board sanded. My plan changed quickly. I went back to Wally World & got some dark brown paint in a satin finish {just the cheapest interior kind they had}. 


I dragged the heavy beasts outside on top of an old sheet & gave them both a light hand sanding. I flipped them over on their tops & 1st painted the bases with Krylon Cream spray paint in a satin finish. It took 3-4 cans to get both evenly coated. After I was satisfied with the legs, I turned them right side up. Using a wide sponge brush, I painted the tops with my brown paint. 3 coats was perfect. I probably could have gotten away with 2 because the paint covered really well, but I wanted to be safe. Once that was dry, Micah & I used the stain that I had bought for the tables over the paint to deepen the color a bit & to provide a bit of protection for the paint since it had poly in it as well.


As a centerpiece, I've displayed our wedding photo book {which I made on Shutterfly}, 'K' coasters from Bed Bath & Beyond {which were a wedding gift}, & a Bean Pod candle {They are soy candles & clean burning! This was also a gift. Plus they smell ah-mazing!}. I've been looking for a tray as well, but haven't been able to find the perfect one yet. 




We use the baskets underneath the coffee table as storage for our board games {Scrabble is our FAVE.} & for movies & Micah's Xbox games. I've been toying with the idea of painting them since they don't match at all. What do y'all think about that?




The piece of pottery that hold our wedding book was also a wedding gift from my dad's cousin & was made by her daughter, Lee. Not only is is exceptionally beautiful, you can use it like a casserole dish as well! How awesome is that?! All of her pieces are handmade. Check out her Facebook page for more pictures of her work!



This was just the facelift these tables needed! I'm all about two tone furniture & contemporary shabby chic right now. The end table looks just like this, as well, but I didn't want to give too much of my big living room reveal away! The best part is this project cost under $30 & only took a few hours! Can't beat that. 

1 comment:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS